Polysorbate 80 is an emulsifier produced synthetically in laboratories. It is a frequently used substance in hair care products like shampoo and conditioner. Polysorbate 80 hair benefits are multiple. The initiation of its use began in the early 1970s and since then, it has been thriving in the hair care industry. Several variants of polysorbate like polysorbate 20, 60 and 60 are also used for the same purpose. However, polysorbate 80 is the most beneficial one and is most commonly present in hair products.
Scientific name: Polyethylene oxide sorbitan mono-oleate
Formula (Chemical composition): C64H124O26
Polysorbate 80 uses & benefits for hair
The surfactant and emulsifier polysorbate 80 uses on hair are of a broad range. Below are some of the most prominent utilities of polysorbate 80 on hair.
- Polysorbate 80 is one of the cheapest and most effective solutions for hair problems.
- Many experts recommend polysorbate 80 hair loss treatments. It removes the dihydrotestosterone (DHT) hormone from the scalp. This hormone ceases the growth of hair by prohibiting the follicles from producing hair.
- If you use polysorbate 80 hair loss products, your hair will be healthier and will grow faster than before.
- It is a good source for the restoration of hair. Using it on the scalp induces the release of histamine molecules. Even though these molecules are known to trigger an allergic reaction in the body, it is also an essential component for cell growth and proliferation.
- Hair loss polysorbate 80 treatment immensely increases hair growth, especially among people who face tremendous thinning of hair.
- It is a non-comedogenic compound. So, using it does not clog the pores of the scalp. Instead, it helps the hair to absorb nutrients better.
- The effect of polysorbate 80 on hair growth is evident from many studies on the compound. It shows a 60% increase in the growth of hair among people with mild alopecia.
- Men, who are on the verge of losing hair to baldness, can use polysorbate 80 hair products. These can stop hair fall and promote hair growth by enhancing the activity of the follicles on the scalp.
- For oily scalps, polysorbate 80 uses include clearing sebum plugs. It helps in the dispersion of oil and other fats building up on the scalp.
- If you choose to undergo hemp oil treatment, you might see oil deposition on the scalp. The polysorbate 80 works upon the deposited oil and removes it from depth. It clears the scalp and helps the pores to get enough food to prolifer in a healthy manner.
- The emulsifying nature of polysorbate 80 helps hair to have a layer of oil and water mixture. Such mixtures protect the hair from dust and other pollutants longer than conditioners. It also strengthens hair, helping it to retain length.
- It aids in dehydrated and frizzy hair as it enables hair to retain its natural moisture by guarding the strands.
- You can use polysorbate 80 hair products alongside cetyl alcohol products. The two together work wonders on lengthening hair.
How to apply/use Polysorbate
You need to know the application procedure to get the optimum benefits of a product containing polysorbate 80.
- If you use pure forms of polysorbate 80, a few drops of it can do the job.
- Take a meagre amount on your palm and apply it to the scalp directly. Thoroughly massage the compound all over the head. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes and allow it to reach the deep layers. Then wash the scalp and hair with lukewarm water. You will see a change from the very first use.
- On the other hand, if you choose a shampoo containing polysorbate 80, you can use it like any other shampoo.
- A mixture of polysorbate 80 and essential oil also helps in dealing with hair loss.
- Take equal portions of polysorbate 80 and an essential oil like lavender oil. Mix them well. Massage the scalp evenly with the mixture. Keep it for 30 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- A blend of polysorbate 80 and a carrier oil like coconut or almond oil effectively enhances hair growth.
- A portion of the compound and two portions of the carrier should be massaged on the scalp.
- For hair loss polysorbate 80 along with carrier oil requires good absorption. So, 1 hour of standing time is necessary for good outcomes.
Polysorbate 80 Side effects
Below are some probable side effects of using polysorbate 80.
- Linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid that acts as an emollient on hair. When you have a deficit of this fatty acid, your hair becomes dull and starts fragmenting. The effect of polysorbate 80 on hair growth has the opposite result in a linoleic acid deficiency. It breaks the dull hair and reduces hair growth.
- Some people face skin allergies when they use products containing polysorbate 80.
Precautions while using Polysorbate 80
Some precautions should be considered for getting only the good effects of the polysorbate 80 compound.
- While using the pure form of polysorbate 80 on the scalp, avoid contact with the eyes. It irritates the eyes and causes redness and swelling.
- Do a patch test before using it daily to avoid allergic reactions.
- If you ingest it by mistake, immediately wash your mouth as the compound has components toxic to the digestive system. If you feel nauseated, consult a doctor.
FAQs on Polysorbate 80
Polysorbate 80 is a non-comedogenic compound which enables the scalp to be free of rashes and blackheads. This ensures proper circulation of blood throughout the scalp that strengthens hair from the roots to the tips.
Yes, in the case of baldness, many have seen that polysorbate 80 helps regrow their hair up to some extent.
Yes, polysorbate 80 uses on hair are absolutely safe. It benefits the hair by promoting hair growth.
Primarily, polysorbate 80 devoids the scalp from the hormone dihydrotestosterone which sits over the follicles of hair, inhibiting hair growth. This particularly is beneficial for men as the hormone is secreted in large volumes on their scalp.
Polysorbate 80 contains ethylene oxide co-polymerised with an ester of sorbitan oleic acid.
Generally, the compound of polysorbate 80 is synthesised by dehydrating sorbitol and through the esterification of oleic acid with it. Then, another round of esterification is done with ethylene oxide. This yields polysorbate 80.