Lactic acid is the product obtained by fermenting lactose, one of the prime carbohydrates in milk. Lactic acid skin benefits make it a common ingredient in numerous skin care products. It belongs to the family of alpha-hydroxy acids, popularly called AHA. These compounds have unparalleled benefits for both the skin & hair. Moreover, lactic acid cream is often recommended by health practitioners to treat several skin conditions and complexion issues.
Scientific name: ɑ-Hydroxypropanoic acid
Formula (Chemical composition): C₃H₆O₃
Lactic acid uses & benefits for skin
The ample uses and the tons of benefits of lactic acid are mentioned below.
Lactic acid for skin
- Lactic acid for skin helps the skin cell by revitalising them. It acts upon the dead skin cell residing on the surface. These cells degrade the quality of the growing cells by inhibiting them to obtain proper nutrients. Lactic acid removes the dead cells and makes it easy for the growing cells to proliferate.
- Besides rejuvenation, lactic acid for skin increases cell turnover. In a 12% concentration, lactic acid enables the skin to retain elasticity and makes it thicker and firmer. That is why lactic acid cream for anti-ageing is highly beneficial.
- The lactic acid skin care regime does not require you to follow hard and tough rules. Incorporating products like creams and face washes containing lactic acid can show noticeable changes.
- Lactic acid uses for skin include the compound serving as an antimicrobial agent. The acid kills germs that can act as pathogens for the skin.
- Lactic acid is an AHA in the mildest form. So, it helps deal with skin irritation among people with sensitive skin.
- Out of the lactic acid uses for skin the most prominent one is its use against acne. You can opt for a lactic acid peel along with antibiotic treatment at low concentrations.
- Exfoliation therapies with lactic acid also help soothe acne-prone skin. For the best results use this therapy alongside the discussed lactic acid peel. The combination heals acne to a large extent.
- Opting for a regime using lactic acid body lotion smoothens the texture of the skin. The lotion deeply moisturises the skin and hydrates it to give it a healthy glow.
- Many inflammatory lesions can be treated with salicylic acid and lactic acid lotion. It reduces irritation and helps avoid bacterial infection.
- Salicylic acid and lactic acid lotion also help in conditions like post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation that happens due to excessive use of aggressive scrubs and retinoids. In the cases of hyperpigmentation, the skin produces high amounts of melanin. The darkness caused by melanin takes a long time to subside but with the lotion, the process takes a shorter duration.
- By utilising lactic acid lotion, you can save your skin from the harsh effects of UVA and UVB.
- A urea lactic acid and glycine cream can be used in the treatment of psoriasis, callus, eczema and corns. It elevates moisture levels of the skin and softens the skin by removing excess dead skin on the surface of the skin.
Lactic acid for skin lightening
- A Urea lactic acid and glycine cream combination is a good option to whiten your skin. The antioxidants present in the mixture reduce the dark spots and blemishes on your face making it look a few shades lighter.
- Besides, if you use a blend of 1% ascorbic acid with lactic acid for at least 3 months it whitens your face.
- Lactic acid for skin lightening helps with brightening and whitening skin besides treating acne. You need to use it alongside salicylic acid to yield positive results.
How to apply/use Lactic acid
To get the expected results from using lactic acid on the skin, you need to know the best ways to apply different products. Below are the techniques you can implement to see a visible result:
Lactic acid for skin
- You can use a lactic acid containing face wash at night. It is effective in cleansing your face. Apply a small portion gently in a circular motion. After you are done, top it up with a light moisturiser. You can avoid the last step if you have oily skin.
- Use lactic acid body lotion India to rejuvenate your body. It is ideal to apply these lotions at night as lactic acid is sensitive to UV rays. Use a downward upward massage to evenly distribute the lotion all over the body.
Lactic acid for skin whitening
- Lactic acid for skin lightening requires chemical peel for getting a fast and noticeable difference. For this, you need professional assistance as the process requires precision and proper handling of the chemicals.
- If you want to use creams and lotions for the purpose, incorporating them into the daily regime of skincare is the best idea.
- Creams can be used at night and kept for a whole night. On the other hand, you can use lotions with a higher concentration of lactic acid and take it off after massaging the lotion on the face.
- Soak a cotton ball in the lotion and apply it to the face.
- Standing time for keeping it on the face is 25 to 30 minutes.
- Finally, wash it off with water. It takes around 3 months to get a visible outcome.
Lactic Acid Side effects
Besides having ample lactic acid skin care benefits there are a few side effects we should keep in mind.
- When undergoing lactic acid peeling your skin may be highly sensitive to UV rays. The area under treatment may witness itchy rashes and redness.
- Just after application, you may feel a stinging effect on the skin. However, this subsides after a few minutes. If the irritation continues, wash the product off immediately.
Precautions while using Lactic acid
Take the following precautions to get good results from using lactic acid on the skin.
- You should not use a lactic acid chemical peel if you suffer from skin conditions like rosacea and psoriasis. The peel has the potential to aggravate the condition.
- If you want to incorporate a lactic acid body lotion in your daily regime of skincare, opt for a lower concentration variant. If the concentrations are high, it may negatively impact the skin.
FAQs on Lactic acid
To answer the question, is lactic acid good for skin, yes it is, irrespective of its type. It is a good exfoliant besides being good for many skin conditions including acne.
Lactic acid lotion and cream help with several skin issues like hyperpigmentation, rough skin and tanning.
Lactic acid skin benefits are many but overusing it may cause allergies. The allergy symptoms include swelling and itchiness. The skin may also feel a burning sensation alongside dryness and redness. In severe cases, the skin peels off the surface making it rough and uneven.
You can use lactic acid body lotion India daily once. Mild irritation is common but if you face anything severe, consult a dermatologist.