Extra virgin coconut oil
Coconut oil is the common name for many but the term extra virgin coconut oil (VCO) is not so. This oil is the purest form of coconut oil which is non-refined and lightly fragrant. It is extracted from the ripe and fresh kernels of coconuts by utilising the cold-press technology. It is a method used for processing substances with minimum exposure to heat. Cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil retains high amounts of vitamins and minerals rich in antioxidants. These properties enable the oil to be stable for long periods.
Extra virgin coconut oil uses have countless benefits on hair and skin. These qualities lead it to be used in different industries and the cosmetic industry is no exception. Below goes more details on the different uses and benefits of organic extra virgin coconut oil.
- Scientific name: Cocos nucifera (L.)
- Chemical formula: C33H62O6
Extra virgin coconut oil uses and benefits
There are multiple extra virgin coconut oil benefits for the face, hair and skin. Some of the key benefits are as follows.
Extra virgin coconut oil for hair
- Extra virgin coconut oil for hair works like a supremely effective conditioner if one has rough and dull hair.
- It helps to condition hair from top to tip. It has wonderful conditioning components to make your hair feel softer and frizz-free.
- With moisturising properties, extra virgin coconut oil helps to keep your scalps nourished and hydrated.
- VCO is popularly known as an agent to reduce and prevent greying of hair at an early age.
- It is also popularly used to treat dandruff-related issues.
Extra virgin coconut oil for hair growth
- The regular use of cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil strengthens hair. Besides, it helps improve hair growth as it is a rich source of nutrients beneficial for hair.
- Extra virgin coconut oil for hair growth is ideal for the ones who have thin hair and face breakage or hair fall.
- Coconut oil also reduces split ends which promotes the hair to be more healthy and grow fast.
- Extra virgin coconut oil for hair growth is a complete solution for the ones who have scalp irritation or very dry hair roots. The oil strengthens the roots which play a key role in the growth of your hair
Extra virgin coconut oil for skin
- Extra virgin coconut oil for skin is a very essential component in nourishing dry skin. It has numerous beneficial fatty acids that give it its super moisturising property.
- The best extra virgin coconut oil for skin in India helps to diminish the dark patches on your skin and helps to maintain uneven skin tone areas like elbows and knees.
- In the season of winter, extra virgin coconut oil works as the best moisturiser for your skin.
- Extra virgin coconut oil uses helps skin problems like flaky or cracked skin can be healed if this oil is used daily because it is an amazing healing agent too.
- The antioxidant boosters of the oil help to protect your skin from any damage or dullness.
Extra virgin coconut oil for face
- Extra virgin coconut oil for face is widely used in creams or lotions to protect your face from being dull and rough.
- Extra virgin coconut oil for face has anti-ageing properties. This oil reduces the effect of early ageing.
- The oil also proves helpful in reducing dark circles and eye bags which are not easy to get rid of.
How to apply/use Extra virgin coconut oil
For the best extra virgin coconut oil results on your hair, skin and face, it is important to know how it should be used.
Extra virgin coconut oil for skin and face
- Extra virgin coconut oil for skin problems is an all-in-one solution. You can directly use oil on your rough and cracked skin. There are many effective products available in the market containing this oil. You just need to take a little quantity of it and apply it to the whole body.
- For baggy or dark under-eye areas on your face, take 2-3 drops on your fingers and massage with the help of your fingertips at least for 4 weeks to see the visible results.
Extra virgin coconut oil for hair health and growth
- Extra virgin coconut oil benefits increase when it is used in the right way with exact quantity. You can use it directly on hair to make your dull hair shiny and strong. Take 5-6 drops of oil and massage in a circular motion into your scalps.
- Extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil for hair shows the best results when applied at least twice a week.
- You can even use extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil for hair by warming it a little by applying heat. It enables deep absorption of the oil.
- Keep it for an hour and then wash your hair with a preferable shampoo.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil with one spoon of aloe vera gel and apply it to your hair length to reduce the breakage and split ends.
- For dandruff especially, in winters, you can apply lukewarm oil to your scalp to get rid of it.
Side effects of Extra virgin coconut oil
Extra virgin coconut oil benefits for skin and hair are numerous but it is also important to know its side effects.
- It is not a good idea to use this oil daily in summers because the oil is hot in nature and it can cause rashes and redness on your skin.
- Avoid using oil directly on your skin if you have a sensitive one. It may result in a skin allergy and irritation.
- For oily skin, it is advisable not to use it directly. It can cause an acne breakout.
Precautions while using Extra virgin coconut oil
Extra virgin coconut oil benefits for skin and hair are ample but some precautions should be taken while using it.
- For oily skin, it is better to use VCO with some essential oil to avoid greasiness.
- In summers, for an oily hair type, you can use VCO with some rose or castor oil to your hair for avoiding clogged pores.
- Instead of using the oil solely on your face, apply creams and moisturiser containing extra virgin coconut oil as it balances the thickness of the oil and gives your skin a smooth and grease-free texture.
FAQs on Extra virgin coconut oil
1. How to make extra virgin coconut oil at home?
You first have to prepare coconut cream in a food processor. Then, ferment it in a warm place. After 1-2 days, when the cream gets separated from the oil, you can take the oil and use it.
2. Can we use extra virgin coconut oil for hair?
Yes, extra virgin coconut oil for hair is very beneficial for hair to reduce several hair problems irrespective of the type.
3. What is organic extra virgin coconut oil good for?
Organic extra virgin coconut oil is good for your face, hair and skin.
4. Is there availability of the best extra virgin coconut oil for skin in India?
Yes, a wide range of the best extra virgin coconut oil for skin in India is available. You can buy from grocery or from online stores too. To get your hands on the best extra virgin coconut oil, go through the customer reviews of the products.
5. What is the extra virgin coconut oil price in India?
In India, the extra virgin coconut oil price is around 1400/ltr. Even though it may seem to be a steeply-priced oil, it is required in minimum quantities to use topically. The high extra virgin coconut oil price is worth every penny because it requires hard labour to extract only a few litres of the oil.