Not many may be familiar with the term cyclopentasiloxane (D5) but it is something we commonly use. Silicon is the common name of this compound. It is a form of silicon that is a non-greasy, odourless and colourless agent with numerous benefits. Owing to its lubricant properties, it is used in many industries including the beauty industry. Using it leaves the skin and hair silky. Furthermore, this compound doesn’t get absorbed into the skin, rather it evaporates. This characteristic makes it useful for skins and hair care products that are needed to dry quickly.
Scientific name: Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane
Chemical formula: C10H30O5Si5
Cyclopentasiloxane uses & benefits
Cyclopentasiloxane is a versatile compound which is commonly used in medical transplants, lubricants and sealants but its contribution to the beauty industry is commendable. Cyclopentasiloxane in skin care products is found in a vast lineup. It has notable properties that amazingly benefit our skin and hair. Let us find some of the most useful benefits and uses of this star ingredient.
Cyclopentasiloxane uses for skin
- Cyclopentasiloxane is known for its silky and smooth texture. When it is used in beauty products, it gives a smooth feel with a non-greasy finish to your skin.
- Cyclopentasiloxane in skin care products provides a light feel to your skin. Its molecular weight is low which makes the skin feel weightless.
- One of the key benefits of the chemical is that it has anti-dehydrating properties which help to lock moisture in your skin.
- Your favourite cosmetics such as foundation, concealers, lipsticks, mascaras and eyeliners also contain cyclopentasiloxane to make their application easy and natural.
- Cyclopentasiloxane acne reduction creams help to reduce acne and scars. The compound is also functional to protect skin from recurrence of acne breakout.
- It also adds a protective barrier to our dermis layers. It acts like a guard on the skin to stop allergen like bacteria from entering.
- It works upon scarred areas and lightens the dark spots making our skin evenly toned.
Cyclopentasiloxane uses for hair
- Cyclopentasiloxane for hair care products is a requisite ingredient. It creates a protective layer on your hair when using it as a hair serum that helps to keep your hair safe from toxins and pollutants.
- It is a non-absorbing compound that evaporates quickly while using deodorants or hair sprays which makes it an essential ingredient to be used in cosmetics products.
- Cyclopentasiloxane in hair products like conditioners and hair masks is used to reduce frizz and provide a supple and gentle touch to your hair.
- Using cyclopentasiloxane hair shampoos may help to prevent your hair from damage and dullness. Using it on a daily basis will provide great satisfactory results.
- Hairstyling gels and lotions with this chemical are helpful to give a hold on your hair. It makes your hair more manageable and set for all day.
- Cyclopentasiloxane hair products are also helpful to cure your rough and dry hair as the compound is rich in hydrating properties.
How to apply/use Cyclopentasiloxane
Cyclopentasiloxane base products are suitable for all skin and hair types. It adds more benefit if used in the right manner. Here are a few ways to use this compound.
- If you are using the component in the form of moisturiser, apply it after your cleanser or toner to seal the product which also helps improve absorption.
- Take 2-3 drops of cyclopentasiloxane face serum and apply it gently before doing makeup to get profitable results.
- Using cyclopentasiloxane in hair products like shampoos and conditioners delivers satisfactory results. Take a coin size and apply it to your wet hair. Rinse off thoroughly and immediately after applying the conditioner. Leave it for 4-5 minutes and wash. Repeat the process each time you wash your hair for a great outcome.
- Using chemical-based antiperspirants containing cyclopentasiloxane after a bath is a good option to keep you fresh for a long time.
- The skincare and makeup products containing cyclopentasiloxane are easily applicable to your skin such as foundations and creams. Take some drops of foundation and apply evenly.
Cyclopentasiloxane Side effects
Cyclopentasiloxane is a synthetic component that works well with most of the ingredients and is safe to use in your beauty and personal care products. However, a few side effects are also noticed.
- You must be aware of using these chemical-based products on your skin if you use natural ingredients-made products. It may not be suitable for your skin.
- Using cyclopentasiloxane hair products more than twice a day can also cause dryness.
- If cyclopentasiloxane acne reduction creams or lotions are used on cracked skin, it may cause sudden irritation.
- This compound-based products can cause redness or itching if used on visible allergic skin.
Precautions while using Cyclopentasiloxane
Taking some precautions as given below can increase the benefit of cyclopentasiloxane-based products.
- Testing products on a small patch of your skin may help to know if any kind of irritation can occur.
- In case of any redness or itching, it is advisable to wash off the product immediately.
- Do not use it on chapped or cracked skin. The chemical-based products are potent irritants on the exposed dermis.
FAQs on Cyclopentasiloxane
Cyclopentasiloxane for hair is a beneficial ingredient that helps to make your hair more manageable, supple and hydrated after regular use.
No, this is not a water-soluble component. Even after washing your hair properly, it makes a protected layer to make your hair or skin greasy.
Cyclopentasiloxane vs dimethicone is a popular debate in the skincare industry. They are not the same although both of them have similar properties. They are non-slippery emollients that moisturise the skin without making it greasy. If you ask which one wins in the debate of cyclopentasiloxane vs dimethicone, it’s probably a draw. Both are suitable to use in different products depending on the other ingredients being used.
Cyclopentasiloxane in hair products is safe to use with minimal personal risk. It helps to make the product dry and spread quickly to give you a smooth finish.
Cyclopentasiloxane-based products are non-clogging that allow your skin to breathe. The compound doesn't enter the pores which is one of the reasons why it is used frequently in cosmetics and skincare products.