Since the last decade, cocoa butter has been a staple in several skincare products. But what is cocoa butter? The answer is not known to many of us. Rooting back to Northern Europe, the rich source of fat was introduced to the mass in the mid-1800s. After that, it became a well-liked ingredient not only for skincare products but also to make the best chocolates worldwide. It is extracted from Cacao beans by following a long and complex process that includes roasting the beans and then stripping them. Further, it is pressed to get the fine smooth creamy cocoa butter. This explains the high cocoa butter price. But all this hard work does not go in vain as the benefits outcast the high valuation. You cannot stop keeping it in your skin and hair care regime once you use cocoa butter lotion, shampoo or any other product containing it.
There is a wide range of products available be it in the form of cocoa butter cream for the face, skin or hair. To get the best results from products containing cocoa butter, learn all about its benefits, doses, side effects and precautions.
Scientific name: Theobroma oil
Chemical composition: Palmitic (C16:0), Stearic (C18:0), and Oleic C18:1 cis9)
Cocoa butter uses & benefits for skin
Cocoa butter benefits are numerous. Some of them are elaborated below.
Cocoa butter body lotion benefits
- Cocoa butter body lotion helps in healing damaged skin.
- It provides the skin with nourishment from its healthy fats that bring the skin back to good health.
- One of the best cocoa butter uses is that it reduces inflammation.
- Cocoa butter is a powerhouse of antioxidants so it helps the skin fight dark patches and ageing skin issues.
- Cocoa butter is rich in vitamins and minerals in addition to healthy fats. Hence, it boosts elasticity and evens the tone of the skin.
Cocoa butter lip balm benefits
- Cocoa butter lip balm is extensively available in the market. Many beauty experts advise using cocoa butter to treat dehydrated lips.
- The use of cocoa butter lip balm can be a good treatment for cracked and dried lips.
Cocoa butter moisturizer benefits
- Cocoa butter benefits for skin include moisturising the skin to make it tender and supple.
- It helps in reducing scars of wounds faster.
- Cocoa butter stretch mark cream moisturizes the targeted area and with time, heals the marks.
- Using it during gestation helps people further. During this period, Cocoa butter stretch marks lotions work great.
Cocoa butter face cream benefits
- Dermatologists recommend using cocoa butter cream to treat the dryness of the skin.
- It moistens the skin and decreases allergies from inflammatory reactions by evading its deep layers.
- You can also notice the betterment of skin health when you suffer from dermatitis, eczema and other skin irritations.
- Cocoa butter also manages to soothe sunburns. It acts as a layer of protection when out in the sun. This is the reason why many sunscreen face creams and body lotions contain cocoa butter.
How to apply Cocoa butter
If you are to use cocoa body butter in its raw and fine state, follow the succeeding steps to get smooth and glowing skin.
- Break a small brick out of the hard mass of cocoa butter and rub it throughout the surface of your skin.
- The friction of the cocoa butter with the skin melts the brick over it. Cocoa butter benefits for skin include moisturising by getting into the three dermis layers. This makes the skin soft.
- If you face a problem in melting the cocoa body butter, you can use some hot water to melt it. Warm-up some water and allow a small piece of cocoa butter to melt in it.
- When you see fat floating over the water, take the piece of butter off it and apply it over your skin.
Other cocoa butter uses can be using the different skin care and hair care products that have it as a key ingredient. The process is easy. You can opt for variants like cocoa butter moisturizer or lotion instead of pure cocoa butter for ease of application.
- Take a small quantity of the moisturiser and apply it all over the body in a gentle motion.
- If you are to use cocoa butter moisturizer on your face, take a little of it and apply it over the face in a circular and gentle motion.
Cocoa butter side effects
With the ample cocoa butter benefits come a few side effects.
- People, who have acne-prone skin, should avoid using cocoa butter without referring to a dermatologist. That is because it is very oily in nature.
- Besides being oily, cocoa butter lotion is also comedogenic. So, you may face an increase in blackhead issues if you use cocoa butter regularly.
- Some people may notice rashes on their faces post-application of cocoa butter.
Precautions while using Cocoa butter
Following precautions can be taken for maximum benefits and to eliminate side effects.
- Teenage girls should avoid using products like cocoa butter body lotion as some studies show anti-estrogenic effects on girls during puberty.
- Use only a little quantity to avoid rashes and acne.
- Cocoa butter stretch marks lotions and creams should be used in the initial period of stretch mark formation otherwise it does not heal the marks.
- Buy products after considering cocoa butter price and reviews from customers. Good cocoa butter ranges higher and has optimum effectiveness.
FAQs on Cocoa butter
1.Can I use Cocoa butter on my stretch marks?
Yes, you can use cocoa butter stretch mark cream during pregnancy and weight loss periods. It can show good results.
2.What is the difference between shea butter and cocoa butter?
Cocoa butter skin creams have similar benefits as shea butter creams for the skin but they are different from one another. Cocoa butter comes from cocoa beans, on the contrary, shea butter is extracted from the shea tree.
3.Can I use Cocoa butter if my skin is sensitive?
Yes, you can use cocoa butter face cream and body lotion if you have sensitive skin. But if your skin is acne-prone, consider consulting a dermatologist first.
4.Is there any substitute for Cocoa Butter?
Shea butter products can be substituted with Cocoa butter skin creams and lotions. It has high effectiveness and benefits skin health to a large extent.
5.Can I use Cocoa butter on my face?
Yes, cocoa butter face cream brings a noticeable change to our face skin when used in the correct amounts. It acts as a barrier to harsh sun rays and helps replenish skin damage.