Sodium hyaluronate is an extremely popular hydrator of the skin. It is commonly known as hyaluronic acid and is present in the body parts like joint fluid and skin. When it comes to taking care of the skin, the topical administration of the ingredient is beneficial. Sodium hyaluronate skin benefits are commonly being exploited by many skincare brands. Many dermatologists say that the outcome is worth it for making it a part of the skincare regime. Before starting regular use, go through all the sodium hyaluronate benefits for skin along with the right way of application.
Scientific name: Hyaluronic acid
Formula (Chemical composition): C28H44N2NaO23+
Sodium Hyaluronate uses & benefits for skin
There are multiple sodium hyaluronate skin benefits that you can gain by using regularly. Below are the ways in which the compound rejuvenates the skin.
- Sodium hyaluronate for skin is extensively used in anti-wrinkle creams and lotions. The acid is a part of the extracellular framework of the skin. It is essential for providing nourishment and hydration. When we age, we lose the compound substantially. The creams provide the required nourishment, hence, giving it a firm and toned texture.
- Sodium hyaluronate uses for skin includes the distribution of moisture throughout the skin evenly. It feeds all three layers of the skin and blocks water loss. It inhibits transepidermal water loss (TEWL) and thus prevents the moisture from evaporating from the epidermis.
- A study done in 2013 shows that it noticeably reduces skin inflammation. It was seen that sodium hyaluronate for skin can decrease symptoms of rosacea among adults. The symptoms of rosacea like burning sensation, redness and bumps are reduced within a few rounds of its use.
- The study also shows that the low molecular weight of sodium hyaluronate induces the secretion of beta-defensin (DEFβ2) which is a compound involved in tissue healing. Beta-defensin also controls the cellular activities of inflammatory cells. Hence, sodium hyaluronic acid for skin has a crucial role in healing tissue damage.
- Another case study from 2017 showed that the benefits of sodium hyaluronate for skin include inhibiting the growth of skin ulcers that keep recurring.
- Sodium hyaluronic acid promotes the proliferation of skin cells alongside repairing tissues.
- The production of DEFβ2 induced by sodium hyaluronate acts as an antimicrobial agent in addition to playing anti-inflammatory roles. It protects the wound on the skin from possible infections and enhances the speed of healing.
- Sodium hyaluronic acid for skin enhances the effects of several active ingredients beneficial for the skin. The easy penetrating capacity of the compound helps such ingredients to get through the outer dermis layer into the deep pores of the skin.
- Sodium hyaluronate uses for skin is ideal for oily skin and skin prone to acne. It moisturises the pores without blocking them because it is non-oily in nature.
- Sodium hyaluronate is a good moisturiser but the mechanism is different from other moisturisers used commonly. The moisturising sodium hyaluronate effect on skin is unlike that of shea butter or coconut oil. It acts as a humectant, unlike coconut oil which makes the skin greasy for moisturising. The role of a humectant is to attract moisture from the air and naturally maximise hydration.
How to apply/use Sodium Hyaluronate
Knowing how to apply a product is of major importance because the effects can only be maximised by proper usage of it. So, below are the correct ways of using sodium hyaluronate into the skin to optimise its effects.
- When it comes to using a sodium hyaluronic acid serum, you should go for the high concentration variants. The benefits of sodium hyaluronate for skin get enhanced when you use such a serum twice daily after cleansing your face.
- Take a small portion of the serum and gently tap it all over your face. Then lightly massage the serum till it gets absorbed completely.
- If you prefer using a sodium hyaluronate cream or lotion, you can incorporate it into your regular regimen of skincare.
- Apply a small portion of the lotion directly to the dermis layer.
- On the face, use a circular motion for massaging. On the other hand, the body uses include downwards and upwards motions to massage the lotion.
- Several gels of sodium hyaluronic acid are available in the drug stores that have zero greasiness.
- It gets quickly absorbed on the skin. Hence, keeping it in the night skincare routine gives fruitful results.
Sodium Hyaluronic Side effects
You should always learn about the possible side effects of the products you use. Following are the sodium hyaluronic acid side effects that you should pay heed to.
- Generally, using a product containing sodium hyaluronic acid does not harm the skin. It is even safe for pregnant women to use.
- However, a few cases show that people witnessed skin irritation after using it. If you face such issues, stop using sodium hyaluronate immediately.
Precautions while using Sodium Hyaluronate
Take the following precautions to avoid any side effects of sodium hyaluronate.
- If you have dry skin, avoid using this product at high concentrations. Hyaluronic does not have greasiness and some products may make your skin feel dry.
- Do a patch test before you use hyaluronic acid products to avoid any allergic reaction.
- Do not apply a sodium hyaluronic acid lotion on your breasts when you are breastfeeding as its impact on infants is unknown.
FAQs on Sodium Hyaluronate
Yes, sodium hyaluronate is absolutely safe to be used on the skin. It is a natural component of our skin and is helpful in keeping the skin firm and smooth.
When using a sodium hyaluronic product, you should be careful while choosing a combination product. You should avoid ingredients that are harsh on skin like fragrances and alcohol. Sodium hyaluronate effect on skin may be optimum when you solely use a cream or lotion. Also, the products are in themselves self-sufficient. So, there is no necessity for additional products.
If you overuse sodium hyaluronate you may witness redness on the skin. In rare cases, inflammatory reactions also happen.
If you use the pure serums of sodium hyaluronate, you may opt for a moisturiser to seal the moisture attracted by the ingredient. However, it is not a necessity when you use a sodium hyaluronate based cream or lotion.
The sodium hyaluronate benefits for skin prone to acne are noteworthy. The ingredient does not add any greasiness to the skin. As a result, there is no clogging due to it. Besides, the antimicrobial properties of DEFβ2, which is induced by sodium hyaluronate, keep the acne producing bacteria away from the skin surface.
Sodium hyaluronate is unstable at high temperatures. However, the heat of the sun is not enough to make it unstable. Instead, dermatologists recommend using hyaluronate based creams for dryness resulting from sunlight and saltiness. So, you can use it before going out in the sun.